Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fall means yummy food!

While I love the summer, with it's cool drinks, light dinners and sunshine 'til 9 pm, I equally enjoy the heartier fare of fall and winter. I love soups, casseroles, chili and root vegetables with their versatility and strong flavors. I find myself making a lot of comfort food lately- most recently, a variation on grilled cheese and tomato soup, a favorite old standby. I like the hearty tomato-bisque style soups by Amy's and Wolfgang Puck, but these can be pricey. So I picked up a can of Campbell's this time, but instead of water I used fat-free half and half (it says on the can that you can use milk, and since I only drink soymilk I figured this would work). With some basil stirred in this made a tasty, creamy and cheap soup. I paired it with a grilled "bacon" and cheese (morningstar farms veggie bacon and pepperjack). I always
sprinkle a little garlic salt on my grilled cheeses, as learned from the infamous dollar grilled cheeses sold by touring hippies at music festivals and shakedown streets. A fast and easy weekend lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment