Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mattar Paneer

It's a new decade! I had a hard time working on a new year's resolution this year. Usually it's to get in shape but I have been going to the gym pretty regularly and snowboarding keeps my high-altitude endurance in condition. The only thing I could come up with is to spend less time dwindling away on the computer (haha as I type this) and more time being creative, reading, hanging out with folks etc. I also want to try cooking new things but that is a constant in my life. Here's a hearty, sinfully good Indian recipe to start the year off right. This is a recipe from my friend Richelle who has more experience cooking Indian than I do. Although we made this together originally I managed to do it on my own and it came out great- just like it's from a restaurant.

1 package fried paneer (Indian grocery store)
heavy cream (about 1/4 C.)
1/3 cup kasuri methi leaves (Indian grocery store)
1-3 clove garlic
egg-sized piece of fresh ginger
16 oz. frozen peas
2 white onions, chopped
1/2 cup oil or ghee
1 tsp turmeric
10 oz canned crushed tomatoes
salt and sugar

1. In food processor or by hand finely mince garlic and ginger.
2. Coat large pan with oil and place on medium heat.
3. Add onion, keep covered and stir.
4. Increase heat slightly and make sure there is enough oil.
5. Cover pan and allow onion to soften.
6. Add garlic and ginger paste and a pinch of sugar and salt.
7. Fry for a few minutes, until lightly browned.
8. Add turmeric.
(at this point, you can leave it on low heat for a long time, or add a little more oil and increase heat to make it faster)
9. When onion is mushy and oil has separated, add the tomatoes.
10. Turn heat to low and keep covered.
11. Cook until dry, like a paste. Then add 1/2 C. water and bring to boil.
12. Add methi leaves.
13. Lower heat and add paneer, peas, and some cream.
14. Before serving, add enough cream to cover, and heat again.

I served this with warm store-bought garlic nan. Many recipes online add other spices like garam masala and coriander. I thought this was spiced perfectly although it is mild. You could experiment with any Indian spices and add some hot pepper to spice it up.


2 comments:

  1. That looks so good. You really have an Indian grocery store near you? Is there much of an Indian population out there? I could probably check the high-end grocery stores around here to see if they have that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah there's actually two near me! I don't think there is a huge population out here but it's a big enough town I guess. If you can't find paneer you can make it yourself with just milk and lemon juice and some time, and the methi leaves aren't a necessity but they add a unique flavor like you would find at a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete